Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Musings of a First Time Participant

I participated in the Komen Arkansas Race for the Cure in Little Rock for the first time ever on October 11, 2008. I had heard of the race before, but I didn’t know the specifics of the event or the extent of its reach. When a coworker here at National Park Community College in Hot Springs sent out an email inviting those who were interested in participating in the 5k walk/run to register, I thought it sounded like a good cause and a unique, special way to spend a Saturday morning.

I was in no way prepared for what would take place
that Saturday morning. Thousands of women lined the streets wearing various team t-shirts, outfits, and accessories. There was everything from pink feather boas to pink reindeer hats. Spirits were high as women drifted in and out of various sponsor booths collecting sunscreen, bottled water, and an assortment of giveaways from vendors. Music was playing from a loudspeaker and celebrity MCs were giving away prizes and making motivating pep talks. You would think with so many people there would be chaos, yet everything was organized. At the starting time, the runners lined up in the front and walkers floated toward the back. Suddenly, we took off. I didn’t hear a starting gun, but I’m sure there was one. It was a beautiful day and a spectacular sight to see all of those women as far as the eye could see. The sidewalks were lined with men cheering us on by doing everything from whooping and hollering to throwing us beads. The crowd favorite was the fire truck full of firemen dancing.

As we crossed the finish line, I felt blessed that I was able to be a small part of something so inspiring, humbled that I was one of the lucky ones that had not been touched by breast cancer so far, and acutely aware that someday I, or someone I love, might be.


Suzanne Hendrix
National Park Community College



Thank you to Suzanne for sharing thoughts on her very first Komen Arkansas Race for the Cure®. Please remember that the logo used in this post was for the 2008 Race. We will share information regarding the 2009 Race as soon as it is available. -- Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment