Monday, August 29, 2011

Why she races~By Jennifer Rodman

My Momma is My Best Friend! Thank God for Her!!!

Almost 12 years ago we received the shocking news... Mom had cancer and it wasn't looking good. I was 8 years old at the time and my whole world had just come crashing down on me. My Mom was my best friend and there was no way i could grow up without her. She assured my brother and me that everything would be ok, We were going to fight this aggressively... We would not give up!!!

I'll never forget going to all the doctors appointments and watching my Momma as she went through treatment after treatment. But she still stayed strong... She made sure I never missed dance or cheer practice.

You would've had to known my Mom back then to know that she had the most beautiful, thick, brown, curly hair... Most nights, after a day of school for me and a day of work and treatments for her, I would sit with her and brush her hair. I remember more and more of that beautiful hair falling out with every stroke of the brush. Finally she made the decision to shave what little was left off. It was then that we explored into the world of wigs.

(Just for a laugh, I must say this) One day as we were headed into Wal-Mart, a breeze caught up and Mom and I were walking one way and the next thing we knew her wig was flying in the opposite direction... If only you could've seen us chasing that darn thing across the parking lot.

After a mastectomy and months and months of Chemo and Radiation... It was over!! We were done!! My Momma had beat cancer!!!

Until 5 years later... It was back and worse than ever. She was stage 4 now. The cancer had broken her back, and when looking at a PET Scan, the cancer was all over her body. NOT AGAIN I couldn't help but think. I'll never forget the look on my Dad's face when the doctor said... "Take her home, make her comfortable, there's nothing we can do for her, it won't be much longer." My dad proceeded to tell that doctor just how things were and we would NOT give up on her! And he was right... She did it again! The cancer was gone.

But, It wasn't long and it was back again...

So here we are today... Still fighting this battle with Breast Cancer. And ya know what? We still haven't given up!!! Just this year we've gone from chemo every week to radiation everyday... But, now she takes just two small pills a day. No other treatments :) They say she will never be in remission but I believe with all my heart that one day we will hear that precious R word.

I have to say that the love we have received from friends and family and most of all God, has gotten my family through all this and they continue to do so. So to everyone who has been there for us, just let me say Thank You. Most of you probably don't even know how much those "I'm so sorry's and Is there anything I can do?" has meant to me and my family.

Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

I LOVE YOU MOMMA!!!!
Jennifer Rodman


Shawna Long

No comments:

Post a Comment